Friday, November 11, 2016

A Time To Treasure

A Time To Treasure


The Christmas holiday is fast approaching as the weather gets colder outside in the north of the United States. It starts with Black Friday most of the time. but isn't the time of Christmas supposed to be about Family? sure there's the presents to represent the time of giving but as quoted in The Grinch That Stole Christmas. "Maybe Christmas doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas; perhaps, means a little bit more" Christmas is about family and friends. Great company like family and friends in this time is "A time to treasure" and make memories. When I was little my wishlist was long. Now-a-days I ask for something small like a pair of Toe Socks or a movie. Always something cheap. My appreciation for family has grown especially since now I'm older and my parents are older and one Christmas they won't be around anymore. It's inevitable unfortunately but whether it's old age or not, any Christmas could be our last. So shouldn't we spend it in the kitchen cooking or at the dining room table eating with our loved ones? perhaps even start a fire and watch it burn with hot cocoa in our hands while draped with a cozy comforter just talking about our day. Today's children have something to believe in, Santa Claus of course but shouldn't they also believe it's a time to just be a happy family? Forget about your problems at least for a night. Read Holiday bedtime stories start a tradition, open one present on Christmas eve and bunker down with a Christmas movie. My favorite Christmas film as a child was the animated Jack Frost film he becomes a normal lad for one winter season and learns the importance of being who he is and not being ashamed to do so. That is why this Christmas I'm not going to obsess over presents and I want to teach my child the true meaning of Christmas which is Family and upholding handed down Traditions. Speaking of Traditions, what are some of yours? My family always puts up our tree about a week after Thanksgiving. My whole family decorates but my dad usually puts the Angel on top. We tend to watch many Christmas themed movies on television and occasionally sing along to our favorite holiday songs. My favorites are "Baby It's Cold Outside" and "Jingle Bell Rock"  As for Movie It's a 6 way tie, A Muppets Christmas Carol" because I love Michael Caine and of course the beloved Muppets "The Grinch Who Stole Christmas" starring Jim Carrey, "Nightmare Before Christmas", and "The Santa Clause" movies starring a funny Tim Allen. So this Christmas season, give you're loved ones, even the ones who you don't get a long with any other day. A hug and tell them "I Love You" Life is too short for there to be rifts within your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment