Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Decisions Decisions

Decisions Decisions

Go Back To College or Not




So lately I've been finding myself in a bad situation. My job is the best job ever, co-workers offer me rides home, lend me money for lunch, and as being bi-polar is a challenge in it's own, they listen to me vent from home troubles from time to time and are very patient and understanding of my struggles. I do not want to quit but the negatives to this job is that it's a part-time job under an Independent Contract. No benefits, no direct deposit of my paychecks, no automatic authorizations to withhold funds for my Child Support payments, no paid sick days or vacation or holidays, no automatic tax withheld. Sometimes I think the cons outweigh the pros of this job, and there's no chance of growth here within the agency. It's a dead-end job.

With that being said, I've been thinking about going back to the local community college for a certificate in my greatest pleasure, Graphic Design. It's something i'm good at, always have been and probably always will be. Working in programs such as Photoshop and designing flyers and business cards or even photography I can take some pride in.

When I was in High School I was taking a vocational class in Graphic Design at an eligible high school that provided that program. I was passing through with flying colors always getting my assignments turned in on time with excellence. I was often pulled aside by the teacher to do profited assignments for actual customers that would come in occasionally.) I have many good memories of that place but I had made some poor choices in life at that time and I did not receive the certification. To be more specific, I was very rebellious and ran off with a boy from my main high school for at least 2 weeks. I also had gotten pregnant my senior year and was no longer allowed to participate in the main tasks such as screen printing or using the pressing machines. I was dismissed from the program. To this day I regret my poor choices and often think how it would be different had I made better choices for my overall future.

When I was nineteen, I was going to the local community college full-time fulfilling prerequisites to an Associate's Degree in Graphic Design. I was not prepared for the advancement in which I was placed. I only passed one class which was the Computer class. I failed Basic Math, English, and my wandering credits class Gym. I got very discouraged and decided not to attend the next Semester.

Nearly 10 years later it has now been reopened as an option. Only this time I want to get a certificate because I'm afraid to go back to finish my prerequisites for the Associate's Degree. Not that I'll never go back, I just don't feel like I'm prepared or maybe I should just take it slow and only do maybe two classes at the same time. So I suppose it isn't about will I return to college but how to pursue my dream coming forth to become a freelance Graphic Designer. The question still remains, should I cram my classes and go for an Associate's or should I ease up on myself and settle for a Certificate for now?

No comments:

Post a Comment