Wednesday, August 22, 2018

A Mother's Emotional Day

A Mother's Emotional Day

Dinky's First Day of School




No mother wants to see their child grow up so quickly. It seems with every passing week time grows more scarce. The summer wasn't long enough and I had to endure the emotions of my baby boy entering Elementary School.

I never was a very emotional person, aside from my pregnancy time that is, but his first day of Kindergarten got to me. I didn't cry his first day of Pre-School either year. I was actually excited for the break. I suppose elementary school is a whole different ball game.

After taking his back to school photos that morning, I walked him 3 houses down to my alma mater where they had all the students gathered on the black top of the playground. I of course took tons of pictures of him that I believe he had gotten somewhat annoyed.

The funny thing is his teacher, Mrs. Nelson was actually my teacher for 4th and 5th grades at a different school. Her name was Mrs. Annis back then and I got to witness the school teachers' scandal. That's for another time though. I was at least set at ease that I was familiar with his teacher and know that she was able to be trusted.


They started calling the classes in one by one. Then the most horrible thing happened to me, they called my baby boy's class in. I tried to hold it together but before I knew it I was wiping tears from my eyes repetitively. My mom was there and I was concealing my sadness. It was so difficult letting my son enter that world. I was overwhelmed with emotions and anxiety. "Will he behave?" "Will he be safe?" "Can he handle a full day of class?" "Will he get along with the other students?" It was an ambush of my own mind. My little boy was getting bigger and starting to explore new surroundings.

After I dropped him off, I went home and I was bored. I didn't know what to do with myself without my son's erratic behavior and the bickering between him and his older brother aka cousin (long story). I tried to find things to do since that Monday was my day off from work. I washed dishes by hand, worked on some laundry, tidied up my bedroom and then I had a beer and was watching a movie.

at 3:15pm he was released from class and he was exhausted. The full day really wore him out. The teacher said he did really well which made me happy since my anxiety was through the roof with worry. I filled out the paperwork that was sent home and read everything I was supposed to just to get it out of the way for the following day.

He went to bed at 8:30pm. I checked my watch at 9:00 and he was still awake. 15 minutes later I didn't hear any rustling, my little boy was fast asleep. It was a long day for us both and at that moment I smiled at his angelic sleeping face before showering. I was full of hope that it will be a good year for him and curious about how he will do when I start receiving his progress passport.

No comments:

Post a Comment