Friday, August 24, 2018

The Vegan Life of Me, Myself, & I

The Vegan Life of Me, Myself, & I



In June I had been reading a book called "Skinny Bitch" It was a no bullshit book about eating habits and there was a chapter that went into graphic detail about how animals are treated at slaughterhouses. I decided right then and there I was done eating animal products. This includes all meat, eggs, seafood, milk, honey, and any food that says "may contain ___".

I was on a vacation with my son when I finished this no nonsense novel. I started these changes by drinking my coffee black. even though there was a gallon of milk sitting in my friend's fridge. My son doesn't drink milk either. Surprisingly enough, that was a change that was easy to adapt to.

The next day I quit meat, eggs, etc cold turkey. I would get phantom cravings of meat such as kielbasa but I could get myself to eat something else. I eat a lot of veggies and fruits. Tofu is one of my new favorite foods as well. I eat a lot of pasta and I can finish my son's peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Cheap bread isn't made with eggs and peanut butter is just pureed peanuts. They also have alternative foods to dairy and meat. I drink Almond Milk which I absolutely love. I eat vegan sausage which is made out of Seitan and seasonings, olive oil instead of butter, they even make fake meat and cheese, things like that.
I wouldn't call myself a strict Vegan. I'm not strictly Organic and I don't shop at Whole Foods religiously. I am not cautious and don't do my research when it comes to the makeup and shower needs I buy, I have also cheated and ate a box of honey bunches of oats and on my birthday my mom took me to a nice mexican restaurant. They had zero Vegan options. I had a cheat day then and ordered a beef and chicken burrito combo plate. After adapting to being Vegan for a while, the sour cream was too sour, the chicken and beef from the burritos were ridiculously greasy as was the cheese.

When I was little my family drove to Las Vegas. On the way we passed a slaughterhouse my brother called "Cowchwitz" where there was a horrible stench coming from the warehouse. Had I not been so naive and young I would have understood what was going on and went Vegan then. You never really know what's going on behind closed doors unless you see it for yourself.

Since becoming Vegan I have also felt healthier. I'm not as depressed, i'm more productive, I just feel lighter. I also have lost around 38lbs. since I changed my eating habits. That itself makes me feel much better. Sure it's not for everyone but it was a change I felt I had no choice but to make. When a book tells you that during an interview with a slaughterhouse employee that they chop off snouts of pigs and stick em in the butt with a broom handle just for fun, there's only so much you can tolerate. Also many lie and claim no animals are harmed when the treatment is beyond cruel.




No comments:

Post a Comment