Wednesday, May 24, 2017

The Fidget Spinner Controversy

The Fidget Spinner Controversy



So what's the deal with fidget spinners? Are they tools or toys? The war has begun about this new trend. I was having a debate with my friend on facebook about these little gadgets and have come to the conclusion, they're pretty much both! Some parents buy their children these gadgets to help them focus in class and others... well they get their kids these "toys" just to show off to their friends and in a way, abuse. They come in a variety of colors, shapes, and themes. from stars to batman.

I am guilty of buying one of these for my 5 year old son. but why? The answer is, he has anger control problems, anxiety, and stresses out when there's drama at home. He has showed signs of OCD and ADHD as well. Am I abusing this tool by purchasing one for him? I think not. Fidget Spinners were originally created as a tool to help people suffering with Stress, Anxiety, Autism Spectrum Disorders, and ADHD to fidget with it in school or the workplace to stay focused. It is not a toy! 

Since the debut of these tools, it had become a trend to have one. Children are misusing them and tend to cause a distraction in class by showing them off to their friends or throwing them at other kids like ninja stars. Isn't it our job as parents to curb our children's school and home behavior? Why aren't some parents instilling the value in their children how to properly use these "toys" they proceed to buy for their kids? These are really some questions I would like the answer to.

These items are now on the verge of getting banned. There's rumors that it will be on an IEP basis but what about all the children who have trouble focus or just finicky in general? They're privilege to carry one in school will be prohibited by this ban and I don't believe that is right. That just because some children misuse them that now the children who need them can't have them unless otherwise stated by the IEP of the child.

To be honest, I find them to be a harmless item that if someone wants one, they can have one, but don't abuse the purpose for which it's intended. I have ADHD, OCD, Generalized Anxiety, and often deal with overbearing stress. I have purchased one for myself to use while at work and even at home on occasion. I get fidgety and often find it hard to keep focus on the task at hand. Let your child have one. If they misuse it at school keep it at home. It's not a show and tell item.


No comments:

Post a Comment