Friday, June 2, 2017

Makeup In The Military

Makeup In The Military



As you may have already guessed, I like to write about controversial topics. What are your thoughts about active military personnel wearing makeup while in uniform? The military can be extremely strict. From my history being a military spouse with an active Navy woman roommate, I was under the impression makeup wasn't allowed and hair had to be in a natural color. It could be dyed but nothing extreme and had to look natural to the person. She always went to work on base without makeup but she could mound it on when she wasn't in uniform. I was in a group on facebook for makeup lovers and a woman posted a photo that sparked an argument. She was sitting in a Humvee in uniform wearing makeup and it was noticeable she was wearing it. Winged eyeliner and lipstick. I made the comment "I didn't know active military could wear makeup" That I guess made people sensitive and I got a lot of backlash even though I also said that the woman who posted the picture was beautiful and thanked her for her service. That inspired this entry.

What do you think about women in uniform wearing makeup? I honestly find it harmless. They're out defending our country they can at least feel pretty and confident while they do. I understand you can't dye your hair blue or something they need to look professional but what professionals don't wear makeup to peak their appeal? Some of the standards the military has forced on their personnel are downright dumb. Some said they are allowed to wear makeup as long as they're neutral colors like light browns and beiges. Others said they've seen a lot of women in uniform wearing mounds of makeup or that they wear it despite the regulations by that branch of the military. One girl stated that it could vary between the branches of military. I agreed that it might be the case with the posted photo. The point was the uniformed girl just wanted to share how she looked pretty and felt good. The military should allow makeup for that reason alone. it makes their women feel better and may boost the morale within the branches of military.

It makes me think of the movie G.I. Jane with Demi Moore. She was the first woman to try out Marine training with everyone expecting her to fail. What these women go through is exhausting. Now Demi Moore who played Jordan O'Neill in the movie didn't seem the type to wear makeup and the training she went through would have completely ruined the look anyway but how hard she worked to achieve the goals set for herself when no one had faith in her makes me think of these women heroes who serve and protect every day. If they want to wear makeup damnit let them wear some!

No comments:

Post a Comment