Friday, July 7, 2017

Cleveland Indians

Cleveland Indians


Ever since I was little I've been a Baseball fan. Particularly the Cleveland Indians team from my hometown. I remember being about 8 years old and my father would take me to their home games constantly, sometimes let me bring a friend too. It was almost like I lived at Jacob's Field. Unfortunately it's called Progressive Field now. (damn rich companies taking over local treasures!) It'll forever be Jacob's Field in spirit though.

I remember seeing legends such as Omar Vizquel, Kenny Lofton, Dennis Martinez, Sandy Alomar Jr. and Manny Ramirez stepping up to the plate and making miraculous catches or pitches and hitting home runs out of the park. I remember the fireworks when we'd win a game in the evening and the banging of the drum to egg on the tribe. I also remember singing "Take Me Out To The Ball Game" during every game I went to and the mega tron with it's at times hilarious little animated shorts when a hit was made and of course the lovable mascot Slider, who could forget such a uplifting and silly creature?

At that time, as well as now, the logo has always been a bit of a controversy. People loved to hate it. It's understandable though because Native-Americans look nothing like Chief Wahoo. They do not have a cartoonish look to them nor red skin. I even remember a Native-American group coming to my school in 4th grade in order to protest and teach us what it really meant to be a Native-American. That never stopped me from loving this baseball team dearly,

I made many memories with my father watching the games. It was "our" thing our special thing we did together as father and daughter. None of my siblings took to baseball like I did and I think my dad loved me for being so open-minded and flexible. I was always a bit of a tomboy as it was but my love of baseball never really went away. Sure I was living my life and never gave a ball game any of my time but who doesn't go in and out of phases?

Now a days I like to sit and enjoy a game whenever i'm available when it's on as I am at this very moment. I was right along the trend of the heart throb baseball player Grady Sizemore. Before you ask, No I never bought a "Wife of Sizemore" jersey. I did however at one point want to but with all trends they eventually go out of style and the next trend takes it's place. Now I think there's a Kevin Love thing going on but that's for Basketball and as soon as he's traded that trend will disperse also.

I wish my son were into baseball. I'd love to take him to an Indians game in hopes we can bond like my father and I did. My father is now into news and sleeping so there's not much joy in it for him anymore but I was inspired to write this because I was watching the game and remembering all the good times revolving around our beloved team. 

I do not really know any of the players' names now but that's OK because this game that many find tedious and boring still lights up my heart like a child going to Disney and meeting their all time favorite cast member. The fandom will never completely disappear, It's apart of me as a person, it's in my blood.




No comments:

Post a Comment